Thursday, August 12, 2010

Visiting old friends

I was reviewing a file last week and came across the names of a couple of former co-workers who I've known for roughly 20 years. We were 10 when we worked together LOL. Anyway, I emailed John and he told me Isabel was working for him again. I was so excited! They're actually both at the office that I was in for the last 3 years of my career at the company. They're a 5 minute walk from my current office.


So off I went Tuesday for a visit. OMG I felt like royalty. There were a few people still there ... I left almost 6 years ago ... but I went mostly for John and Isabel.

She said I looked fabulous ... She wouldn't have recognized me on the street. We haven't seen each other in about 10 years ... She said I looked so young (knowing I'm a little older than she is). I showed her my before picture from 2 years ago ... She was suitably impressed. We caught up on a lot of our old friends/co-workers. I work in a very large, yet very small, incestuous community. We all move around quite a bit and you never know where you're going to run into someone. The receptionist Zelma had a couple of old pics of me. OMG ... Permed brunette. YIKES! What was I thinking????!!!!!  Not to mention the clothes...
 
I saw John briefly and he was telling the girls who don't know me all about our history. I left there feeling like a million bucks!


I miss working with these people. I've been collecting people through the years. I pick up friends at different jobs, on the GO train, our neighbourhood, wherever. I love meeting new people, introducing people. And of course if you know Barry, you know everyone loves him. We tend to have rather eclectic groups at parties. There is a central core ... the rest are wildcards and I love it! Life is so special, so precious, and I just love sharing that with people.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people ... not just in our blogosphere... It makes life so much richer! I'm so glad I've met all of you.  You have definitely enriched my life.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and heart felt post! Sometimes fear of the unknown keeps us from meeting the most wonderful people in the world. Happy Thursday my friend...HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! I really enjoy meeting new people, especially since i spent a lot of my life being extremely shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice when you go into a former workplace and there are still people who are glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete