Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 22 of 84 - "Measure success by what you gain, not just by what you lose."

Every day, I have a "lesson for LIFE" that I read.  I've been reading these lessons over and over each time I do a challenge.  Today's hit me hard.

Bill talks about measuring success not by what you lose (weight) but by what you gain ... in energy, in attitude, in strength, in renewed health.  And I have gained so much in this journey.  I have re-gained a self-confidence that I had lost for a long time.  I have gained energy like I haven't had in years.  I've always been pretty strong for a chick in my upper body, but now I've gained lower body strength as well.

My health?  Yes, it's better too.  I don't struggle with my breathing like I used to.  Sex is easier and better.  My flexibility in general has improved.  I'm not struggling with panic attacks any more.  I don't dread being active, I look forward to it.  I take my supplements religiously and it appears they are helping.

So while just losing pounds on a scale is awesome, and it's definitely part of the process, but remember, it's not the only thing about this journey.  It's about getting healthier, fitter, happier.  And while there are many ways of getting there, the important thing is that we eventually get there. 

I follow, promote and believe in the Body for Life program.  Is it for everyone?  Of course not.  Not everything works for everyone.  That's why there are so many options.  The key is to find what works for you.  Some people can handle a "cheat" day, others cannot.  If you cannot, do not do it.  If you can, then it's a great way to reaffirm to yourself just why you're doing this.  Do you need to do it every week?  Of course not.  If being strict every single day works for you and keeps you on the straight and narrow, then by all means, follow that.  Everyone is in a different place.  We just have to find what works and stick with it.

I wish you all an awesome day.  Remember to celebrate your victories, but never get complacent. 

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with this. You've been doing great and from all the changes I've seen it's obviously working. Love you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete