Thursday, October 15, 2009

my biggest fear

Barry recently tagged me, to which I responded on his post. One of the questions was your biggest fear. I originally said losing Barry, which still holds true. But that is something I may not have any control over.

My biggest fear, over which I have total control, is becoming the stereotypical middle aged woman. I listen to a lot of women in my age bracket. They're overweight. Tired. Stressed. Caught in the middle between growing children and aging parents. And of course we women think we're invincible and responsible for everything and everyone.

I listen as they complain of bad knees, spoiled kids, husbands who don't help, lack of time. I could go on and on but you get the point. And yet they do nothing to change this. They don't seem to be able to find the time or the inclination to do anything about it. I've spoken with a couple of women recently who know they need to change things ... to get some exercise. Neither of them has been able to get into it. I told both of them that they will do it when they're ready.

I know. I tried for YEARS to lose fat and get fit. I started and stopped. I talked about it. I planned for it. But nothing stuck until I started getting up at 4:30 a.m. Is it the answer for everyone. Absolutely not. Do I recommend it. Absolutely. Not the 4:30 part. But the early morning workout part. It's liberating. It takes discipline. But it's totally worth it. Does a structured daily workout work for everyone. Absolutely not. If you like to dance ... dance. If you like yoga, do yoga. If you love to walk ... get outside ... take the spouse, the kids, the dog, the neighbour. Whoever.

The important thing to do is to do SOMETHING. Anything. It's not about losing fat and getting fit although it's definitely a nice bonus. But it's about doing something for YOU. To make YOU feel good about YOU. It's not for the boss, the spouse, the parents or the kids. It's something that makes YOU feel good.

We (humans) were never meant to sit on our rear ends all day. We were meant to move to stay limber. Staying active gives us more energy. Keeps us young. Keeps our joints limber.

But to help even further, I highly recommend supplementation. Find a good, reputable health food store. Or go to a nutritionist and/or a naturopath.

Short story long, ladies ... take care of yourself. You're too special, and too important to neglect.

1 comment: