Thursday, October 29, 2009

Patience needed

It's really hit me the past few days. We seem to have become a society that's impatient, self-absorbed, intolerant. Maybe it's the GO train community ... maybe they're former TTCers. Pushy, impolite, rude, just gotta get in to get that seat even if you have to step on, push aside or smack somebody else with your umbrella, purse, napsack. It used to be such a civilized mode of transporation. And it's still a damned site better than the TTC. But this is not meant to be a rant. Did that. Don't need to repeat right now.

I'm a firm believer in "pay it forward". Hold a door open for someone else, whether they need it or not. It's just the polite thing to do. Man or woman, doesn't matter. I was getting off the train tonight and I heard a woman say to a man, you're losing your (coat) belt, and caught it for him. Even a smile goes so far. I know I always feel better when someone smiles at me ... if I'm paying attention enough, I tr to make sure I smile back.

People don't need grand gestures ... even the little things can make a person's day. Like saying "I like your shoes". Yes, I have a little shoe fetish.... It can make a person's day.

It always amazes me how pleasant and polite and happy people can be during the Christmas holidays. Why can't we be like that all year round.

I'd like to issue a challenge to anyone interested ... make it a habit of complimenting or encouraging at least 1 person every day. It's amazing how good it'll make you feel.

I do have a confession to make. This is not really my idea. Bill Phillips writes about the "Universal Law of Reciprocation" which is basically what I've said above. It helps us get outside ourselves a little and encourages someone else. You never know when your encouragement or compliment can make someone's day when they're having a really bad one.

No comments:

Post a Comment