Saturday, December 26, 2009

InStyle's "Secrets of Style" - A Review

While I've always been a bit of a magazine addict, I don't actually buy a lot of books.  But my exposure to Tim Gunn's Guide to Style and the fact that they send their guests to InStyle for a consult and the InStyle magazine encouraged me to ask Santa for the book.  And of course Santa was good to me.

So, what did I think of the book.  It was freaking awesome!  The book is extremely well laid out, talks about the basics at first (fabric, fit, proportion), then discussed different items of clothing (skirts, dresses, suits, etc.), what to look for, how to wear and a guide to challenging body parts (big chest, tummy, small chest, etc.) and what to avoid and what to look for.  There's also a section on shoes (my fav), accessories, handbags and then a section on caring for specialty clothes (leather, cashmere, shoes, etc.).  This book discusses style as opposed to fashion or trends.

I highly recommend this book for pretty much everyone but especially for those of us who are just discovering, or re-discovering, our inner fashionista.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Here's to a very stylish 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Cheers to a stylish 2010... I will definitely buy that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. This book sounds awesome and really informative. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I want this! What a great review, Sandy!!

    To answer your question...here are links to a few men's fashion blogs that I know of:

    *I Luw Fashion - http://iluwfashion.blogspot.com/
    *Style Salvage - http://stylesalvage.blogspot.com/
    *A Man Fashion - http://a-man-fashion.blogspot.com/

    Hope those help!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need to find my inner fashionista!! What a great gift! I'll try to find this book! =)

    ReplyDelete