Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The joys of "middle age" ...

Although I fight the good fight and have serious issues with being middle aged, sometimes, there's just no denying the truth.

For instance, a couple of weeks ago Barry had BBQ'd burgers on a Saturday afternoon.  We had dinner and were cleaning up.  I grabbed a container from the front hall closet (I know, odd place to keep containers but it more or less works for me), put the burgers in the container, turned to put the burgers in the fridge (which is right next to the counter), only I got distracted, busy thinking about the raking I needed to do and proceeded into the front hall, about to put the burgers into the closet.  I stopped, turned to my left, only to see Barry with an odd look on his face, as if to say "WTF?"  We both started to laugh and I took a few steps back to the fridge (which I had passed on my way to the closet) and put the burgers away.

I've been forgetting things, getting distracted while talking and veering off to another topic.  Of course this has nothing to do with age ... I've been doing this since I was 18.  A former manager said I formed trees when I talked.  I'd start on the main trunk line, then off to a branch, then a twig, then a leaf.  Eventually I would end up back on the trunk line, only to form another branch, another twig, another leaf.  And so it goes.  Welcome to Barry's world.

Tonight was one of the best "moments" though.  It's amazing what happens when you have 2 people who don't always hear each other right.  Now Barry has always had amazing hearing.  However, he was just informed he should get reading glasses.  Now his hearing is going (as opposed to simply being "male selective hearing").  I was about to take a pan of chicken out of the oven, and needed to put it on something.  I don't have granite countertops so I needed a trivet.  I must not have been speaking clearly or something.  Barry thought I said I needed a trout.  To which I responded, yes, hunny, I need a trout to put the chicken on.  Which started my man a gigglin'.  I think he was tired.  He continued to giggle and giggle.



trivets




trout



I hate to admit there are many more instances but I think I'll leave you for now.  Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment