Saturday, December 19, 2009

Who I aspire to be

We had a lovely day today.  Spent some quality time together this morning and took a long time to get moving.

Then my brother, his daughter and her family came to visit and have "Christmas".  Her children are 2 1/2 (boy) and almost 5 (girl) and her stepchildren are 11 (boy and girl twins).  Our house is normally very quiet, except for music.  It was a little louder today.  But it was great.  The kids are very well behaved and I hadn't realized that it had been 2 years since we last saw them.

Which brings me to the subject of my post.  The person I aspire to be is someone who remembers birthdays and makes sure that I call or write.  Someone who remembers conversations with people ... remembers things that are important to others.

It's so easy to get all wrapped up in our own lives, to expect that others will remember what's important to us and yet we don't give them the same courtesy.  I've made it a mission of mine to always treat others the way I want to be treated.  That's important to me.   And people seem to appreciate it.

While I am far from perfect, it does not stop me from aspiring to be the very best that I can be.  And to me, that means putting others ahead of me sometimes.  It always impresses me when someone remembers something I said.  I don't want to be so wrapped up in myself and my life that I forget that others appreciate being heard and remembered.

Who do you aspire to be?

2 comments:

  1. I always believe the saying "do unto others what you want others to do unto you"...it's a cycle. And if you show love and respect to others, it'll come back to you a hundred folds.

    Who do I aspire to be? I aspire to be someone who can selflessly give without expecting anything in return like Mother Teresa. I know I'm far from being that someone but I'm on my way...I think and I hope I'm on the right track. Big hugs from Manila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, let me just say this...I'm so ecstatic when I saw ME on your blogroll. I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete