Sunday, December 20, 2009

Overwhelmed by emotion

I was working out this morning ... cardio and abs day.  After my cardio, I looked in the mirror in the gym and realized just how far I've come since last March.  I know I have a long way to go but to look, and really see, the progress that I've made ... I found it rather overwhelming. 

Because I've never stuck with anything (other than my marriage) for that long.  I've tried and failed so many times ... I let others influence me.  I've let others' lack of support and encouragement deter me from  reaching my goals.  It's been tough.  The first 5 months, I didn't feel  like I was making much progress.  But I kept bouncing around, trying to find something that would stick, that would erase these pounds.

Once I stuck with one program, rather than trying to merge a couple of them and changing every few weeks, I gave it a chance to work.  And yes, it was the Body for Life program.  I was beginning to lose faith;  in myself, in the program; in my ability to EVER get rid of this fat.

But I did stick with it.  And now I'm seeing the results.  I got into a shirt yesterday (a former co-worker called it geometrically disturbing) that looked ok.  A little better than ok actually but I'm still not ready to wear it.   As long as I'm standing it's ok but I knew I'd be sitting and that just shows off all the rolls and I really didn't want to promote that any more than necessary.

I haven't taken my measurements in such a long time.  But my friends at work are really noticing and commenting.  And that just encourages me more to stick with it ... I've come so far, to quit now would be stupid.

Bill Phillips talks a lot about honouring self-promises.  And how by not honouring them, you break down your self-trust.  And start to doubt yourself.  You lose faith in yourself.  But it's amazing how your life changes when you make up your mind to accomplish something and stick with it.

So if there's something you want to do, make a plan, stick with it, and if you need any encouragement, without any recriminations, I'm here for you.  Because I know what it's like...

7 comments:

  1. Love your attitude Sandy... go for your dreams. No pain, no gain. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it up! My boyfriend has been motiviating me by coming to the gym with me. He really pushes me hard. I do workouts with him that I probably would never do on my own, I can already notice a difference in my thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, it's so good to see you look in the mirror and be overcome by emotion in a POSITIVE way. Keep up the good work, you look good, feel good and it shows.

    I love you and love the example you're setting.

    B
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, thanks so much for your encouragement ... always appreciate it.

    Dina, always great to hear from you and thanks for your encouragement.

    Barry, it's been a long time coming ... but so worth it. I don't EVER want to go back to that other person. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for realizing how much amazing progress you've made already. This can be a tricky time of year but hopefully you like what you see and feel inspired to keep going!
    Thanks for visiting my blog, lovely to have you there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great Sandy, even I can see the change since last Jan when I got back in contact with you guys. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly a role model, Sandy. I look up to you in every way possible. You are such a sweetheart, you are beautiful, and you possess a self-determination that awes me. You are proof that a person should never give up on their dreams or goals. Because if you keep trying, you will eventually get there one day. :)

    ReplyDelete