Sunday, January 3, 2010

Getting back on track

First off, I need to response to a few comments ...

Diane, thank you for your lovely comment.  It's great to have a support network of women who understand.  This community has been fabulous for me ... it keeps me in touch with women of all ages ... all of whom keep me grounded.  And it's nice to not just be surrounded with the 20-something crowd, although I do love them dearly.

Erika, thanks for all your supportive comments.  Unfortunately back in those days I had been taking a hiatus from my fashionista days ... those days lasted more years than I care to remember ... but they are finally back..  The renos took a lot out of us ... but they were totally worth it ... stay tuned for more fun and frivolity ...

Betty, I left a message on your last post ... although I did post some of my "seen better days" photos, I restrained myself ... there's been so much material ... LOL 

In general, to everyone, thanks so much for your support.  I've been having a lot of fun the past several posts ... partly because my brain wasn't functioning like it normally does, and partly because I needed a break from the heavier stuff.  So onwards and upwards!
The last couple of weeks have felt like a month.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  I had been running so hard for so long, I really needed a break.  Not quite the way I ended up with one, but a break was necessary nevertheless. 

Without working out and not watching my nutrition all that much, I know I have some catching up to do.  But that's ok 'cause I feel ready to get back into it.  But I'm being smart and starting slowly.  I did about 10 minutes of light cardio this morning about 30 minutes of yoga. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.  I ended up awake for almost an hour in the night because of the infernal coughing.  I really hope this stops soon.  This week will consist of getting up at 4:30 a.m., doing progressively longer and much intense cardio sessions, ab workouts and yoga.  I'm getting a vein stripped on Friday so it'll be interesting to see how I feel.  The last one hurt a lot more than I anticipated.  Then I'll get back into circuit training 3 times per week, alternating with 3 days of cardio and have my one free day (Saturdays).  I'll likely do that for 4 weeks before getting back to strength training.  I need to shake up my workouts a little.

I was first introduced to circuit training by a personal trainer about 17 months ago.  He explained that circuit training works the body in a different way, and encourages longer, leaner muscle rather than strength training.  It's supposed to burn the fat faster because you do an exercise, do cardio for a minute, do an exercise, do cardio for a minute .... and it takes about an hour to get through the workout.  I'm usually drenched by the time I'm finished.  I'm not sure there was really that much difference ... but for me, I prefer strength training.  And being an avid gardener, it's important to be strong as well as flexible.  That's why I tend to do predominantly strength training (pyramiding) and shake it up with circuits.  Maybe it's a comfort thing.  I don't know.  But it seems to be working for me so if something works, why change it?

All I have to do now if figure out what I want to accomplish during my 4 week circuit training program and stick to the plan.  "Cause we all need to set goals.  It's really the best way of ensuring that things will get done.

I actually did that on Thursday morning, only it was just a "to do" list.  And it really helped to keep me focussed on what I wanted to accomplish before going back to work.  Speaking of which ... tomorrow already.  Oh well.  I work for 4 days, off 4 days, work 4 days and then I'm back to my regular routine.  And actually I have a goal of getting into a particular dress on February 13th.  I could probably do it now with some control top pantyhose but I would prefer to do it without them.  So that's my prize.  Wish me luck?

BTW - I can't remember whether I mentioned this or not.  I bought Barry a charcoal grey, fine-whale cordouroy blazer last week.  OMG!  It looks amazing on him.  I'll definitely have to take photos of him in it.  With black dress pants or dark jeans (which I still have to get for him), it'll look amazing.  And he has a few striped shirts that will really finish off the look.  I had been watching the price of it and got it for $50 cdn.  It was regular $130 so I was really happy.  They had 2 left, I tried the one on myself and of course I couldn't get it done up (the girls of course) but it fit me perfectly in the shoulders ... and it fit him to a T.

So good luck this week ... I wish you all the best for the start to a fabulous, stylish, creative new year!

Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm inspired Sandy. Sometimes, I tend to get so lazy with my exercise routine. I do yoga too, I run, I box but this holiday season was the worst. I wasn't able to do any of those activities. That's why I'm feeling guilty and I kinda feel "fat". Oh well, I have to get back to my routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be me a new wardrobe? Please??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing that dress on you. It should be a great night!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how much I agree...working out is such a rewarding thing! Unfortunately, last week I completely failed to work out, and I feel horrible! The best way to feel great about yourself is to work out and stay healthy mentally and physically. Here's to a wonderful new year!! :)

    ReplyDelete