Monday, March 29, 2010

I was a little shocked this morning ...

Anyone who has endured a long struggle with their weight and who finally gets it together and successfully removes some weight can probably understand this.  I have been questioning whether I'm making progress.  My head tells me I am.  But it's frustrating.  You can't go by new clothes because a 12 is a 14 is a 16 sometimes.  Even existing clothing isn't helpful sometimes because if there's enough lycra or spandex in it, it stretches out and gives you a false sense of losing.  Taking measurements doesn't always work 'cause we lose all over and you may not put the tape exactly where it was the last time.  And don't get me started about the scale.

So the mirror should be an accurate measure, should it not????  You would think.  The problem is, sometimes we get so used to seeing ourselves in a certain way, we don't see the changes.  Today, I finally accepted the body who was staring back at me.  I finally realized that yes, I have made changes.  Not as many as I wanted in the past year.  But I'm heading in the right direction.

I've had a lot of people tell me lately I look great.  I wonder if it's the clothes, the hair and the makeup or whether they've noticed the weight loss and just can't put their finger on it ... they just know that I look better.  Hmm.

So if you're struggling...if you think you're not making progress...be kind to yourself.  And try to be patient.  It didn't find you overnight ... you certainly won't lose it overnight.

I leave you with this thought .....  "Strive for progress not perfection."



No comments:

Post a Comment