Thursday, March 11, 2010

I'm in awe ....

As I've connected with different people in our wonderful "little" community here, it's really hit home to me how amazing the human spirit is.  It's the one thing that binds all of us, no matter where we were born, where we live, what our experiences or our life has been.

I find it amazing how one person will take adversity and turn it into something powerfully positive and yet others let themselves be destroyed by it.

I used to think I had a "rough" life ... I didn't realize how good I had it.  Yeah, I was almost date raped (long story), I've been in a couple of car accidents (nothing major), have back and neck problems (they're annoyances and it's amazing how much better they are the more I work out and lose weight), I've had emotion issues with parents and siblings (who hasn't), even had some issues with alcohol in my teens (never amounted to much of anything ... stayed away from it for a couple of years and now I can have a drink or a few drinks but it's only occasional).  As I read some people's stories, it makes me realize, and appreciate, just how amazing my life has been.

I don't take it for granted ... I know I was very blessed.  It could have been so much worse.  My mom stayed with my dad despite the fact that they just really didn't get along well.  She wanted me to have a good life.  So she sacrified her own happiness.  And I grew up healthy, reasonably happy despite the issues, and have somehow turned into a fairly decent person.  Of course I've had some great influences in my life...Barry being one of the biggest .... my parents of course ... my former boss and wonderful friend who put up with almost as much from me as Barry has. 

There have been so many influences, both good and bad, that have shaped me into who I am.  And I'm grateful to each one, good and bad.

To those of you who have shared your story and bared your soul ... thank you.  You've made my life richer for the experience and I wish you all the very best of life.

As an aside, I have been terribly remiss at getting back to people, posting awards, keeping in touch and I do apologize.  Even tho' the weather has been great, I think because I was sick so much this winter, I've been in a funk ... but no more ...  look out world .... she's on a roll!

Love you all ... and thanks for all your love and support.

Sandy

6 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post of gratitude Sandy. I write my blog as raw as possible. I dont care. The way I see it is if my story can help someone then I have done my job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girlfriend!

    Hey, we are all students in the university of life. I just don't want to graduate any time soon! ;)

    I, too, have gotten completely out of synch with my blog. Somehow, in spite of the best of intentions, computer issues, stepdaughter issues and then illness all conspired to get me off track. I'm still trying to figure out how I had the time to comment on so many blogs before.

    Suddenly, it seems like there are less hours in each day. I keep trying to blame that on the earthquake in Chile, but that apparently only shortened each day by 1.26 microseconds. It just seems more like 1.26 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say through it all you turned out pretty amazing :) I love you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to have you back! I'm glad to be back as well. This is a beautiful post, so honest and inspiring too.

    xxxx
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post!on this road called Life,there are many turns, dead ends, and detours. It is how we choose to handle these challenge that will determined how we live and who we will become.

    I am happy to hear you are feeling better and have pushed your funk away.. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that picture of you and Barry! So cute, with your glasses!!!! Also, those shoes in the next picture are.. to. DIE for!!

    ReplyDelete