Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dealing with challenges

It would appear that I'm supposed to address this issue. It keeps coming up. Appropriately enough since we all have to deal with challenges.  I know it's my second post of the night, but I'm on a roll and felt this was important ... like I had to do this because someone needed it.

It seems that every time I come across this Lesson for Life, something happens. But that's just life. I know this sounds a little trite but it's tue ... It's not what happens to you, it's how you deal with it that matters. This is how character is built.

There have been many times in my life where stuff has happened and I can with it ... To a point. Then I just seem to through up my hands, freak out and get bogged down in the situation rather than rising to the ocassion and having my inner strength shine through. Humans are incredibly resiliant, strong creatures. We. just have to learn to harness that strength.

Rather than freaking out and wallowing in our troubles, it is far more rewarding to say "ok, what can I learn from this ... How do I develop my character muscles?  It's also a LOT harder.

As I read the Body for Life participants' stories, it amazes me how strong some people are. There was one woman who's husband had a brain tumour, was in a coma and they didn't know whether he was going to make it or not. She ate her way through a lot of that experience until one day she reAlized her husband was going to need the best of her. So she did 3 back to back BFL challenges and lost about 90 pounds. Her husband was skin and bones. He had to learn how to walk, talk and basically live again. They did it together.

There's no doubt in my mind that it's the people around you that makes a huge difference ... A strong support system makes a huge difference, even if it's only one or two people.

Does that mean you can't be strong if you're doing it on your own? Of course not. Those are the truly amazing people. I'm not one of them. I need help.

I encourage you to check our Falling off a High Heeled Life. She is one of the most amazing people I've ever met. Yes, she had a fabulous support network. But her strength is awe inspiring to me.

I wouldn't wish what she went through on my worst enemy, but I would hope that I would have the strength to cope, and to become stronger because of it, should I, God forbid, I ever have to deal with something so drastic, whether to myself or to a loved one. I wish that same strength for each one of you.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely :) I wish and hope for strength all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend thank you for your sweet words and mention. I try to remind myself that that God, the universe and all - do not give us more than we can handle... sometimes we feel buried by it all - but we only have a small piece of the puzzle to our blue-print of life.

    Listen and follow your heart! You are one of the most caring and loving people to others - and give so much of yourself. You are in my thoughts and prayers ... I wish for you to over come all and any obstacles that get in your way!!! XO ..HHL

    ReplyDelete