Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Judgement and Tolerance


I was chatting with a friend of mine last night. For whatever reason he got very judgemental about something. I told him not to judge. His response ... We all judge every day. Which got me thinking about this topic.


When I was much younger, I was very judgemental ... Out of immaturity, inexperience, ignorance ... I'm not sure why. But he's closing in on 60!

Anyway ... tt got me thinking. Its so easy to judge people based on our own set of beliefs and values. And yes, pretty much everyone does it to some extent. But one of my girlfriends and my husband have helped me realize that although lighthearted judgements (OMG can u believe what she's wearing!) can be a regular occurrence, the harsher kind is simply not acceptable.


How can we judge someone else's beliefs, situation, etc when we really don't know what's going on in their lives; we don't know their history.

It;s not easy just accepting people for who they are; accepting the differences. I know it's helped to make me a better, more tolerant, more understanding person.

Besides, in this case he was sitting in judgement of my hubby. And although I've known my friend  most of my life, I am fiercely loyal to hubby. And I actually stood up to this friend last night.

I've come a long way baby .... I could never do that before.
 
One of my girlfriends sent me this "the tigress pounces on her prey in defence of her lion".  I don't know where it's from, but I love it.
 
I guess my point is ... we ALL (myself included always) ... need to be more tolerant, more accepting of others.  Until you walk a day in another person's shoes ... you have no idea what it's all about.
 
And as a number of the male executives in my company can attest to, it can be a painful experience (they did a runway show, all wearing high (I mean some of these suckers were HIGH) heels.  I think they developed a better appreciation for what we women go through.
 
So here's the tolerance .... to acceptance ... to just living and let live.
 
Hugs to all :)
sos
 

photos ... http://www.weheartit.com/

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written ! It is so true... as humans (it is our EGO, that judges)we often hide our insecurities behind our judging.

    If we could all accept others with the innoncence of a child .. what a wonderful magical world this could be.

    I have missed your posts. Keep strong, stick with your plan ... you are on the path to success!!! XO HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for standing up for your man!

    One note though... in this: "One of my girlfriends sent me this "the tigress pounces on her prey in defence of her lion". I don't know where it's from, but I love it."

    I'd think it ought to say lioness with lion or tigress with tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It;s not easy just accepting people for who they are; accepting the differences. "

    Amen Sandy! Amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How 'bout the tigress pounces on her tiger? That def works for me!

    Thanks for your words, very sweet!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete