Monday, January 3, 2011

Back pain and exercise

Back pain is something I have dealt with for many years.  Main reason ... weak abdominal and back muscles.

Before my little hiatus the past 3 weeks, I was doing great, hardly had low back pain due to stronger abdominal and back muscles.  I've done a few workouts where I engaged my abs.  My low back muscles however .... I'm only back into the swing of things this week and today is my cardio/yoga day so I'll be doing my low back strengthening muscles then. 

I encourage anyone with low back pain to talk to a health care professional (doctor, chiropractor, massage therapist) about strengthening exercises for coping with back pain.  Not everyone can do everything, depending on the cause of your pain.  I've learned what works for me.  You have to be safe and careful and smart about it because if you aren't, you could put yourself out completely.

Posture is another important aspect of back health.  The simple act of sitting, standing and walking correctly does wonders, not only for your appearance but, most importantly, it helps to strengthen your core.

I hope 2011 finds you well, determined to achieve your goals, whatever they are, and I look forward to hearing from you.

SOS

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry about your back. I always cringe when I hear about people with back pain because it sounds so dreadful. I'm glad you have found a way to deal with it. You're lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh posture! I have terrible posture. I am working on it.

    I hope you have a lovely new year! It is crazy how quickly 2010 went by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to do those too. It's a hassle but I feel SO much better when I get them done about 3 times per week. Good advice and reminder, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete