Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I miss you Mom ....

Now don't go getting worried about me or feeling too bad for me.  Yes, I miss my mom.  She died 3 years ago today.  I was so happy for her.  She had a laundry list of health issues and the last 4 1/2  years of her life were spent in a nursing home.  She had vascular dementia (not as bad as alzheimer's but I still couldn't take care of her at home).  Toughest decision I have EVER had to make was to put her in a nursing home ... the place she vowed she'd never go to.  I felt like such a bad daughter .... but I knew I was doing what needed to be done for her to keep her safe and well cared for.  And, quite frankly, to keep my sanity.

I probably have a little different view of illness and death than a lot of people.  I can thank my sister partly for that, for which I'm grateful.  Not that I'm ready to lose anyone else close to me but when it's time, it's time.  Mom was 80.  She had a lot of health issues but there's something about that generation ... they're far hardier than the younger generations (mine included I think).  She just kept going and going like so many of them.

I shall have to scan a couple of my favorite pics of my mom and post them.  Maybe in my "wedding" post.  We got married before digital cameras were common (or affordable) so everything is in print.  I'll have to work on that as soon as I have a few hours to devote to it.

I will admit it ... today was a little rough.  I started tearing up when I thought about her too much.  But I know she's in a better place, finally joining the rest of her family.  Mom ... I trust you are dancing your heart out ... listening to music all the time ... doing the things you loved to you.

Love you!

3 comments:

  1. I bet she's with Elvis and Bing and Lawrence having a great time! I'm thankful she always had her music to keep her spirits up. Not to mention us, of course! God Bless, mom.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when people experience similar situations to what we have gone through ~ death is not scary and thus we no longer have the fear associated with it. As for your mother, sending you warm hugs on this day ~ but know she is with you ALWAYS and tries to guide you along your journey here ... so don't stop listening to her.
    xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it must have been a very sad day for you, but yes she is in a much better place and no longer suffering .

    ReplyDelete