Tuesday, September 22, 2009

a new workout

This morning was interesting. Couldn't get my rear end out of bed. Finally made it, got dressed and did my new cardio workout. 12 minutes. HIGH intensity interval training. Ab workout. My abs are starting to feel like they've been worked again. I've discovered that in order to make a difference, my abs have to be worked HARD. This may or may not hold true for everyone. I don't know. I can only tell you what I've experienced.

It's interesting, I was reading a blog today about nutrition and dieting and frequency of meals. And there's other things I've been reading, and they all basically say the same thing. Different strokes for different folks. What works for me might not work for you. Whether it's nutrition or exercise. One of the articles I was reading suggested listening to relaxing music to stay calm. Yes, it calmed me down. But also made me edgy. I've been a little stressed lately at work and it's showing up BIG time in my body. Weather's not helping. I like hot weather ... HATE humid weather. But I digress ... again.

So if I could share my experience with you, it would be to suggest that you try something. Anything. If it works, stick with it until it doesn't work anymore. If it doesn't work, move on and try something different. That's why I switch every 12 weeks (although I'm not 100% sure I can last a whole 12 weeks on circuit training) between circuits and strength training. I LOVE strength training. Yes, I'm a girl (eh hem) but I love being strong. I look at women who struggle to open a door or lift a box and I think I'm really glad I'm not like that. I mean, to each his (or her) own. But this works for me.

So I encourage you to do something. Never mind the weight loss, if that's what you need. Think about your health. Think about your spouse or your child(ren). If being your best for yourself isn't enough to encourage you to take care of yourself (and you SHOULD come first in your life ... not to be self-centred) because when you're at your best, you can be at your best for everyone. It's about good health, not just about losing weight. It's about being strong so you're capable and less likely to become a victim. Of course there's no guarantees in life about anything except that eventually each and every one of us will one day die. It's how you life your life that's important.

So take care of yourself. Life life to the fullest. And if you're feeling kinda crappy, send me a note. Or call a friend. Or talk to a professional. Just don't neglect the one life that you've been given. It's a privilege.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment