Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Start driving and stop just going along for the ride."

www.publicdomainpictures.net


I love this quote! As Bill says, those of us who are not in the best shape or health did not get there on purpose. Life gets in the way if you let it. It's so easy to let school, children, spouses, partying, work, whatever get in the way of our health and fitness. So I implore you all, put YOUR health first. If you get sick (even with a cold), you can't be your best and everyone who depends on you suffers, most of all you. Whatever it takes. Yes, I realize I'm the crazy one who gets up in the "middle of the night" by most people's standards to work out. When I first read about people doing that, I thought they were INSANE! Life happens. I kept trying and trying to get into a routine but it never seemed to work. When my mom was still around and healthy, Barry and I worked out at our local community centre gym on our way home from work, but when we got home dinner was waiting for us. Then I had to quit working out to take care of mom and after she went into the nursing home, I never really got back into it. I tried and tried and failed every time. When you get up at 5:30 a.m., leave at 7:15, get home (if coming straight home from work) at 6:00 p.m. and then have to fit everything in to 4 hours (which seems like a lot) and it's ok as long as you're not working out. I really don't know how people with kids who are in a lot of activities do it. I really don't. I have a hard enough time dealing with appointments and errands for the 2 of us. Yeesh.

Even eating healthy food. It takes time to prepare a meal to keep your health and fitness in check. But please take the time. I do wish I could get out of the rat race of working in Toronto. Unfortunately that's just not in the cards at the moment. That's where the money is. But I digress.

It's amazing what happens when you start planning, writing your plans down, following through with them, keeping self promises (that is a HUGE one ... trust me ... I never did and it got me further and further behind). Your confidence grows. You just become a better person all round. And I think that's really what all of us want ... just to be the best we can be.

On a totally frivolous note ... part of the whole girlie-girl thing ... I broke down and went back into Addition-Elle today. I swore I would never buy another thing from there. It sounds weird, but that store has represented a very bad time in my life. Almost 4 years ago, I got into the elevator at work ... of course there are mirrors in those elevators ... whose bright idea THAT was, I don't know. Anyway, I took one look at myself, and all I saw was a fat, tired, middle aged woman who looked like crap. So I went on a shopping spree and bought a whole new spring wardrobe ... beautiful clothes, wonderful fabrics and colours ... and started to feel a lot better about myself. It's amazing what that does to a girl. If you're carrying more fat than you'd like, there are ways to disguise the parts of your body you don't like. So for me , that store represents the worst I felt about myself, probably in my life. But anyway, my girlfriend wanted to go in and I thought I'd check out the accessories. Well, as soon as I walked in, I saw this pair of black, grey and white leopard print pants ... FIERCE! I tried on a 16. WAY to big. So I thoughth I'd try on a 14 ... AND THEY FIT!!!! YAY YAY YAY! They are wickedly cool ... totally my kind of pants ... and tight enough that I'll be able to wear them for a while and most likely be able to take them in. Along with the wine and black crocodile boots (not to be worn together ... leopards and crocs don't get along very well), I'm feeling pretty good about things.

So the moral of this story ... get those driving gloves and glasses on, grab that wheel, and pedal to the metal (so to speak). And don't ever give up!

1 comment:

  1. Leopard print pants always sounded tacky to me.

    Until I saw these.

    Mrowr!!

    ReplyDelete