Saturday, March 20, 2010

OMG my arse hurts!

Anyone who thinks that gardening isn't exercise or work has never done much.  I don't mean watering, fertilizing and light deadheading.  I'm talking heavy cutting back, digging up, bending, squatting, awkward positions.  I was using a pitchfork (my newest fav gardening tool BTW) to rid myself of CATMINT!  I bought 3 little plants about 4 or 5 years ago.  If I hadn't throw out bags of the stuff, I could probably cover an acre!  I love the plant.  It's pretty, it's hardy (almost too bad that it is), it blooms all summer.  But man does it spread.  At least it spreads like crazy in my garden.  And every year I try to eradicate it out of my garden, I seem to end up with more of it.  Until this year (I hope).  I've always used a shovel.  I noticed the pitchfork is SO much better!

I cut back all my perennials and grasses back and started to dig up the catmint.  That was between a couple of hours yesterday and about 2 1/2 today.  I've still got a few hours of work tomorrow.  Just ridding myself of catmint could take an hour or two.  And then there's the yucca plants.... I really must refrain from plants that are "ambitious".  Plus my rockcress needs to be moved tomorrow. 

I still have some planning to do.  I need to divide some of my plants so I think I'm going to reorganize things a little ... do some repetition ... I have a bunch of holes to fill since I've dug up so much catmint and some other plant that's really quite pretty and I'm sure I'll still have some in the gardens, but again, it likes to spread.  It's been a great filler plant while my other flowers grew sufficiently so I could divide.  That's the beauty of perennials .... FREE PLANTS!

This past week has been phenomenal weather-wise.  16-18C (60-66F) which I realize for some is cool but for us ... it was WONDERFUL!  Today, it only got to about 8C.  It even tried to rain, then it had the audacity to flurry for a few minutes!

Tomorrow's supposed to be sunnier, but still only a high of about 8C.  I can't complain too much tho'.  It's more comfortable to do the heavier work when it's cooler.

Yesterday was wonderful.  Got to sleep in until 5:30 a.m.!  Woo hoo!  Worked out (legs), had brekkie and latte then Barry went to work and I hit the shower, got my gorgeous and headed out downtown to lunch with a very good friend of mine.  We were going to go the The Keg (Sophia, it's actually on York St ... used to be the old Movenpick location ... they've moved to BCE Place ... then their lease expired, were going to leave and now they're coming back .. fickly industry) but ended up going to Le Pappillion (was on Church, now on Front just east of Church) ... it's a lovely French restaurant, 2 story high, exposed brick, very simple design, but very nice.  GREAT waiter ... attentive but not too much.  We shared some pan fried scallops and I had a Maritime Crepe (crap, scallops and I can't remember what else).  Of course it's never enough time ... I don't seem him nearly as often as I'd like.  I've known him almost half my life.  YIKES!

Oh, I gotta tell ya ... I went for my bi-weekly mani-pedi on Thursday night.  Usually I'll paint my fingers one colour; my toes another.  This time they're the same.  ELECTRIC BLUE!  Freeking awesome!

I know, I disappear for a few days and then I write a freeking novel!  Time keeps getting away from me.  I'll try to do better ... I still have to catch up on everyone again.  URGH!

Hope you're all having a great weekend .....

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Sounds like you had a great week and a busy weekend planned. :)

    I'm glad everything is going well for you and the weather looks like its warming up (kind of, lol).

    I hope the rest of your weekend is filled with love, laughter, and fun. You deserve it, Sandy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for working out hard and electric blue nails!

    Loved the story about the red suit :)

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a super red gal! I love having my nails painted in red! I couldn't feel sexier!

    I bought yesterday a stepper! I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete