Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 11 of 84 - Changing your view of yourself

It's hard to change how you see yourself.  When you spend a lot of time overweight and then start losing, it's really hard sometimes to actually see the change.

When I look in the mirror sometimes I still see that fat, middle aged, tired, unhappy woman.  I don't see the fitter, younger, energetic, excited, inspired woman who is slowly, slowly taking the fat off.  I'm an impatient woman.  I want what I want when I want it.  This has been a great exercise (pardon the pun) in learning patience.  In learning that it takes take to make real changes.  That sometimes others see what we cannot.
So don't give up.  You can't always trust the mirror.  Definitely not the scale.  Trust the tape measure, trust how your clothes fit.  How you feel.  How your habits change.  How your cravings subside.  You look forward to exercise.  You feel horrible when you don't exercise or when you eat too much or the wrong foods. 

Keep up the good work.  Don't give up.  And if you need me, you know where to find me.

*************************

I did good today until dinner.  Lunch was a spinach salad with grilled shrimp.
Dinner, on the other hand ... well ... we won't discuss that.  BUT ... I didn't eat all of the fries. 
I had a great workout this morning.

5 comments:

  1. I totally have the same problem with the lack of patience. I have a hard time with it. I am learning to plan and wait and set goals. This has helped in lots of areas of my life. It has taught me to seek the high I got from food in exercise. I really liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard. As great as I feel after a workout I still gotta look at fat me afterward in the mirror when I go to take a shower. Its a constant reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I know how to measure myself properly. I blogged about it last week or so.

    Other people are seeing my weight loss, and I can wear clothes I couldn't wear before but I really cannot see it.

    It's like when I was thin but thought I was fat because I compared myself to other people. I saw myself as being much larger than I actually was.

    I can remember being under 80 lbs in grade 7 and crying because I was "fat" because my thighs and calves touched when I stood with my legs together and there were other girls at school whose thighs and calves had an oval of space when they stood with their legs together.

    Now it's like the other way. I still can't release the image of "fat" me, even with weight loss.

    And even looking at pictures of myself at close to 200 lbs (which is lower than I am now) to me I look pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still see myself as a 246 woman. And I am under 200! Especially going through this my self esteem is shot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. takes time to see myself thinner, I know I am making my husband crazy!!! I need to chill out!

    ReplyDelete