Monday, May 16, 2011

Medical Update

It's amazing how quickly time flies.  I cannot believe it's been 2 weeks since I last posted.  I feel like I'm in confessional.....

Anyway, I had a mammogram done - clear.  I had an EKG - clear.  I had a bunch of blood work done - cholesterol's a little high, iron a little low, but best news - fasting blood sugar was only 5.2.  For years, it's been 6.2.  I don't know how or why this has changed, but I'm glad ... I think.  Given the drops in blood sugar I've had lately, I kinda question why it's dropped so much.  But, as my mother always told me, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  So, for the time being I'll enjoy the good health and look forward to even better health in the future.

It's kinda odd being the only one in my immediately family who doesn't have diabetes.  Not that I want it.  Hell no.  And I'm still younger than everyone else (except mom) when it was discovered.  But just because my family had/has it, doesn't mean I have to follow in their footsteps.  This is one way being the black sheep of the family is a REALLY good thing.

My biggest challenge seems to be allergies and allergy induced asthma.  It's been exciting, especially with all this rain.  But at least we're not in Manitoba.

I'm back to my workouts, I've planned my meals for the week and I'm determined to stick with the plan, but ensure that I actually eat enough, at regular intervals, drink lots of water and keep a positive attitude.

To your good health.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my friend .. I'm glad that you received a great health report!! ~ I've been struggling a bit with the energy levels and this damp weather has not helped (not to mention that I have been pushing myself with the gardening and Mr. G's Bday stuff)... but hopefully things will get back to a "normal" state...

    Ok lets motivate each other to stay on track for healthy eating over the next 6-8 weeks!!! BTW: I'm back to weekly yoga and a toning classes ... You can do it!!! xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to hear this news today. You're the best wife ever and I want you around for a long time. Love you honey!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! :) I try to plan out my meals too so they are healthier, but that doesn't always happen lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've been having really bad allergies this year too. It's been dreadful.

    I'm glad to hear you are healthy! I had a diabetes scare myeslf a couple weeks ago. It was nervewracking until I got the results. It definitely made me aware that I need to seriously make some major changes in my life, otherwise next time I won't be so lucky...

    ReplyDelete